Committed to our environmentSustainability
Tending to Our Environment as Well as Our Guests
Our location on Quonochontaug Pond affords incredible views and access to beloved water and outdoor recreation, but demands a responsibility to the local environment which our team is deeply devoted to upholding. To that end, we have implemented several initiatives that not only meet but exceed environmental standards while maintaining a Five-Star experience for all of our guests.
Among our many projects, we recently installed a state-of-the-art geothermal heating and cooling system that will significantly reduce our carbon footprint. Where our previous system actively exchanged seawater, the new Rygan HPGX technology operates on a closed loop, meaning it has no impact on the aquifer or sensitive coastal features surrounding the Inn. We are proud to continuously improve our sustainability and remain mindful of the surrounding environment and wildlife.
Here are other ways in which we prioritize sustainability and our environment in our day-to-day operations:
- We have installed several landscape features including vegetated buffers surrounding the Inn, which contain native grasses and shrubs that slow water run-off and allow it to infiltrate more naturally into the salt pond.
- Additional river-stone borders were constructed to combat erosion.
- To combat run-off of nitrogen and phosphorus into the pond which could harm marine life and lead to algae growth, the grounds crew has limited their use of lawn care products.
- The inn’s White-Water system recycles wastewater by channeling it for irrigation
- Plants that draw mosquito-eating birds have been planted as a replacement to pesticides.
- To reduce emissions and electricity consumption, the grounds crew has replaced its full-time lawnmower with two battery-operated robotic lawnmowers.
- The Inn is in the process of eliminating single use plastics at all levels of hotel operation.
- The Inn has installed filtered water dispensers and provides guests with reusable drinking bottles that they can use across the property, carry with them during their local excursions, and integrate into their daily lives at home.
- In all guestrooms and suites, travel-size plastic containers for shampoo, conditioner and body soap have been replaced with refillable dispensers. Guest towels are replaced only upon request.
- The Inn is proudly a zero-waste culinary destination. Through a new partnership with Earth Care Farms – Rhode Island’s oldest operating compost farm – the property composts all food scraps, which are then repurposed into soil for use by local farmers. In addition to helping farmers support more sustainable farming cycles, this process aids the planet by supporting the circle of life.
- We incorporate the composted soil into its own agricultural practices, using it at the on-site herb garden and greenhouse.
Eco-Friendly Beach Practices
- We employ a full-time staff in the summer whose job description includes maintaining the health of the beach.
- We hosts monthly beach cleanups throughout the summer, which also raise funds for environmental organizations such as The Weekapaug Foundation for Conservation and the Audubon Society of Rhode Island.